To enroll in an instructor course (whether ACLS, BLS, or PALS), you will need to ensure you have the following:
- Be accepted by an AHA Training Center and have a completed Instructor Candidate Application on file with that Training Center.
- Have a current, unexpired, AHA provider card in the discipline for that Instructor Course and be proficient in all the skills of that discipline (ex: BLS, ACLS, or PALS).
- Complete the required pre-requisite testing: provider level written test and skills test/mega code at least 30 days prior to the Instructor Course.
- All students must have a copy of the provider textbook for your chosen discipline (i.e., ACLS Textbook, BLS Textbook, or PALS Textbook) and all required instructor materials (a list will be provided after registration).
- Complete the AHA’s Instructor Essentials Course (Upon registration, instructions on how to access this will be provided). The Instructor Essentials is designed to prepare Instructor Candidate to teach AHA Instructor-led and blended learning courses, show how to adequately use AHA Instructor teaching materials, ensure that students meet learning objectives, offer student coaching skills, provide an objective skills performance evaluation, and follow AHA Instructor and course policies. The Instructor Essentials Course is an online, self-directed, and discipline-specific course. Upon completion of the Instructor Essentials Course, the Instructor Candidate prints a Certificate of Completion which must be brought to the classroom Instructor Course.
- Successfully complete the discipline-specific classroom Instructor Course.
- Take the Instructor Course Exam and pass with 84% (the content for this exam will be found during the Instructor Course, the Online Instructor Essentials Course, the Instructor Manual, and the Provider Manual).
- Successfully be monitored teaching your first course within six months of classroom Instructor Course (instructor status is granted and an instructor card is issued after the instructor successfully completes the Instructor Course and demonstrates teaching skills while being monitored during a Provider or Update Course
How can I teach after I complete the Instructor Process? Upon completing the instructor program and completing your monitoring requirement, you will be permitted to teach the programs in the discipline you have completed (ACLS, BLS, or PALS). BLS Instructors: You’re permitted to teach courses at our location, your facility, or out in the community.
*Please note: The instructor course provides the information on how to instruct an AHA course (whether it be ACLS, BLS, or PALS). The instructor course is NOT a review of the content from the provider course. Therefore, it is required that you review your course provider textbook and instructor materials BEFORE attending the Instructor Program. You may feel more comfortable taking a renewal course close to your instructor course in some cases.
Fees: Students are required to make a $25 deposit which will be refunded upon completion of the course. The only other student fees will be to purchase their own instructor materials. Below are the required printed materials. BLS allows you to teach both BLS and Heartsaver classes, so you need materials for both:
- For BLS you’ll need either one of these, depending on if you want the course videos on DVD or USB (everything else in the packages are the same):
a) https://shopcpr.heart.org/bls-instructor-package-with-course-videos-on-usb ($152)
b) https://shopcpr.heart.org/bls-instructor-package-dvd ($152)
- For Heartsaver, you’ll also need BOTH of these: https://shopcpr.heart.org/heartsaver-first-aid-cpr-aed-instructor-manual($65) and https://shopcpr.heart.org/heartsaver-fa-cpr-aed-student-workbook ($3). The videos are only required if you’re going to teach Heartsaver classes in the community on your own; you’ll need either one of these (again, depending if you want the videos on USB or DVD):
a) https://shopcpr.heart.org/heartsaver-first-aid-cpr-aed-usb ($195)
b) https://shopcpr.heart.org/heartsaver-first-aid-cpr-aed-dvd-set-2-disc ($195)
- Each student will also need to complete an online instructor module and bring the completion certificate to class: https://shopcpr.heart.org/bls-instructor-essentials-online($38)
- https://shopcpr.heart.org/2020-guidelines ($27)
- https://shopcpr.heart.org/2020-handbook-of-ecc ($33)
Date(s) - 09/21/2023
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Rappahannock EMS Council
Categories No Categories