GEMS provides EMS practitioners at all levels with the skills and knowledge to address the unique medical, social, environmental and communications challenges of older adults. Developed by NAEMT, in partnership with the American Geriatrics Society, GEMS empowers EMS practitioners to help improve medical outcomes and quality of life for geriatric patients.
GEMS features case-based lectures, live action video, hands-on skill stations, simulation and small group scenarios to fully engage students in the learning experience. GEMS covers the following topics:
- Changes with age
- Assessment of older adults
- Pharmacology and medication toxicity
- Psycho-social emergencies
- Elder abuse
- End-of-life care issues
- Cardiovascular and respiratory emergencies
- Neurological emergencies and altered mental status
- Mobile integrated healthcare
- Special considerations for older adults in disaster response
- Skin and wound care
- Medical devices frequently used by older adults
GEMS is appropriate for EMTs, paramedics, emergency medical responders, nurses, physician assistants and physicians.
A $25 deposit is required of all REMS Providers; this deposit will be refunded upon completion of the course.
Date(s) - 12/16/2022
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Rappahannock EMS Council
Categories No Categories
This event is fully booked.